Adult Upgrading

Adult students are mature students who are 20 years old, on or before, September 1st of a school year.  As such, their education is no longer funded by the Alberta Government and those wishing to upgrade must cover the cost of their education.  The current adult rate through Career High Schools is $600.00 for a 5 credit course or $120/one credit course, plus a 1 time/school year $100 registration fee.  Adults wishing to garner this service can access career/educational planning and counseling; as well as learn about the advantages given to adult students.

A mature student, for Alberta High School Diploma purposes, has many criteria, please come in and discuss this with us. Achieving a Diploma Requirements is summarized in this brochure. We will be happy to meet with any adult student to review their options.

A mature student may earn senior high school credits after successfully completing:

  • courses offered in a regular accredited school
  • courses offered under extension programs
  • courses offered by the Alberta Distance Learning Centre
  • a diploma examination conducted by Alberta Education with or without formal course instruction.

Alberta Works Funding

Alberta Works provides the forms and advice required for government funding that is available for adult students.  The Alberta Works Office office is located  in the Ralph Klein Centre at the CLC in Olds (4500 - 50th St) to pick up application forms.

The Alberta government offers the Skills Investment Bursary to eligible individuals attending part-time training. The bursary is designed to help with costs associated with training. To be eligible for a Skills Investment Bursary, an individual is assessed based on the eligibility criteria. The maximum training benefit amount issued under the Skills Investment Bursary is $5,000 per year.

Olds Career High School is an APPROVED education site for Alberta Works Funding.

GED & High School Equivalency

GED Preparation Courses

GED books are available for purchase from Olds Career High School. The GED exam is written at designated locations in Alberta.


High School Equivalency Diploma for Mature Students

An alternative to obtaining your High School Diploma; Alberta offers a High School Equivalency Diploma or GED program.  There are other options available to mature students. Please call an make an appointment at the school to discuss the best alternative for you.